Each year, the United States Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program collects new, unwrapped toys from October to December, and distributes those toys as Christmas gifts to less fortunate children in the community. At Rensselaer, members of the campus community and several academic schools and departments have been lending a helping hand to support this nationwide effort for more than seven years.
From Dec. 5 to Dec. 8, individuals are invited to donate items at various collection sites on campus. This year, organizers hope to collect up to 5,000 toys to deliver to area children. Last year, 1,000 toys were collected.
Members of the Navy Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) programs at Rensselaer are helping to coordinate the campuswide efforts. Additional partners include the Lally School of Management, the Department of Athletics, and the Folsom Library.
“The objective of Toys for Tots is to help less-fortunate children throughout the United States experience the joy of the holiday season,” said Major Joe White, who serves as the executive officer of the Naval ROTC at Rensselaer. “We want to play an active role in the development of one of our nation’s most valuable resources—our children—and unite all members of the campus and local community in a common cause during the annual toy collection and distribution campaign. We hope that our collaborative efforts give a message of hope that will assist area youth in becoming responsible, productive, patriotic citizens.”
Last year, through the generosity of Rensselaer students, faculty, and staff, a large van was filled with toys and donated to the Toys for Tots program. The Navy ROTC plans to again host the annual “stuff the vans” drive on Dec. 6.
Collection box sites can be found until Dec. 8 across campus at the following locations:
- Lally School of Management lobby located in the Pittsburgh Building
- School of Science Jonsson-Rowland Science Center, room 1C05
- School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, Russell Sage Building, room 4301
- Department of Computer Science and Information Technology located in the Lally Building, room 202
- Engineering Hub located in the JEC Ansell Lounge on the third floor
- Registrar’s Office located in Academy Hall on the first floor
- Folsom Library
- East Campus Athletic Village lobby
- Voorhees Computing Center, room 316
- Institute Advancement in the Chasan Building
- Mueller Center lobby
In addition, members of the Navy ROTC will staff several collection events across campus Dec. 5-8 in the following areas:
- Dec. 5: Sage Dining Hall from 8 to 10 a.m.
- Dec. 6 and Dec. 8: Rensselaer Union from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Dec. 7: Commons Dining Hall from 8 to 10 a.m., and Folsom Library from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Join the social media conversation and share photos of their donation support by posting pictures of their club, team, or department using the hashtag: #RPIT4T #StuffTheVans
For more information, contact: Major Joe White via email at email@example.com
To learn more about the Capital Region Toys for Tots efforts, visit the website.